Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Always look....

This post kind of relates to my post in January about cross-shopping -- it's about keeping your eyes open when shopping.

Sunday I went to JoAnn's.  I had their Memorial Day weekend coupon (20% off entire purchase, including sale items).  I specifically went to buy fabric for a new pink skirt, my favorite having given up (quite dramatically -- fortunately while taking it off for the night).  Now, I could have gone in, found the pink fabric, and left.  But I never go to JoAnn's without looking at the sales -- and especially at the "red dot" fabrics.

Most of the time it's junk -- or at least fabrics not even remotely calculated to be useful to me.  This trip, however, this lovely red fabric stood out.  It's a nice heavy cotton canvas with a yellow chain stitched design.  I love how the design echoes architectural design elements that stretch back as far as the 12th Century.  So often when you *can* find "medieval-oid" designs in the home decorating department they read more like 14th to 16th centuries.  The two yards I bought will provide a number of cushions for taking to events -- and probably some other "cover the modern" uses as well.

Now, normally, I would have passed this fabric by -- or just admired it and put it down after seeing the over $50 a yard price tag. But it was on the clearance rack at $21 - AND all the clearance was an additional 50% off -- AND don't forget that coupon.

So, 2 yards for $16.80 that would originally have been over $100.  Not bad -- and just for keeping my eyes open.  The cushions will not, unfortunately, make their way to the studio table and "done" pages for this weekend upcoming, but soon.  Maybe.

Oh, and I *did* get my pink fabric, too.  So there will be a pink skirt back in my wardrobe ... at some point.

That "eyes open" shopping has gotten me a lot of useful things at excellent prices. I've found dishes, decorating items, clothing, tools and many other items just by being open to noticing things.

It also works well for "end of year holiday of your choice" gifts -- I think the first thing I bought this year was in January.  Of course the biggest issue with those is remembering where the items are by "end of the year."

No comments:

Post a Comment