Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tool talk -- and "cross shopping"

Do you "cross shop?"  That's the phrase my husband and I use for buying items in a store aimed at one hobby or occupation to use in another.

(Please note, none of my comments are meant as specific endorsements, or anti-endorsements of any one retailer.  In fact, every retailer listed is one I regularly shop from, for something...)

Sometimes, cross shopping is just less expensive. For example, several yarn suppliers sell the foam "puzzle pieces" to use for blocking mats. For example KnitPicks* has a set of nine 12 inch mats, currently selling for $24.99.  All put together, that's 36x36 inches of blocking. On the other hand, Harbor Freight sells a set of four 24 inch anti-fatigue foam mats, which are the same material, for $17.99 (often on sale for $9.99). All put together, that's 50x50.  I have the Harbor Freight mats.  I do put a towel down between the mat and my work, but at 50x50 I've been able to block even my larger shawl.

Boxes good for sorting little bits of things are often less expensive in the sporting goods department (think fishing tackle) than in the crafts department -- for essentially the same boxes.  (This used to be more true, apparently the retailers are catching on to this).

Canning jars, which are very popular (or being pushed anyway) in the crafts stores are less expensive when purchased by the dozen at the grocery, hardware, or big box stores than when purchased by the piece at the craft stores.

And sometimes, cross shopping just finds you the best tools.  Like magnets.  One of the most important tools I have in my studio is this long reach magnetic pick up purchased at Harbor Freight.  It is a very strong magnet and has a "quick release" for removing the items picked up.  Granted, it doesn't pick up everything that might get dropped in the studio, but pins, scissors, and other tools are easy to retrieve.

I have a small telescoping one on my desk downstairs, too. 


Wherever I go, I keep my eyes and mind open as I look at products, as other uses may come to mind -- a kitchen twine holder easily becomes a thread ball holder, for instance.  The little jars for beads that screw together in a stack could easily hold small hardware bits, or the seasonings needed for a given dish.

Our greatest cross shopping find, however, was certainly the old library card catalog, which has become the sorter and holder of "little things I want to be able to find"... pens, pencils, batteries, the cats' grooming supplies, wire....


So, always keep your eyes open -- you never know when you'll find just the right tool for something, even if it isn't the original purpose.





1 comment:

  1. Harber Freight's magnet on a stick was one of the best sewing gifts I've ever received.

    ReplyDelete