Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Conner Prarie

 I think I've mentioned before that I'm a sucker for the historical interpretive sites. Many people know of Plymouth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village, I'm sure, but there are many others.  Some day I'd love to just travel around the country visiting such sites. I'll have to start a list -- have any you'd recommend?

Several years ago my husband and I took a  nice long vacation, including visiting with friends and family in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana.  In Indiana one of the places we went was Conner Prairie.  With several areas of focus, there's lots to see.  There's the 1836 Prairietown, a Lenape Indian Camp, a Balloon ride, and apparently a Civil War centered area (don't remember that -- we either missed it or it is new since we were there).  

Of course, there is fiber related goodness.  


They have sheep of course

And examples of fiber works.  Here are photos of a tape loom.





 There's a large loom.  When we were there, it was being used, so we got to watch.



A bit of weaving done on a previous day.


 The same building that housed the large loom also had this walking wheel, displayed with some spun and dyed yarns, as well as material for spinning.

 




They grow dye stuffs as well:




In one of the homes, they have a display of needlework in progress


Clearly at the time, not all goods were from their own land.
This has beautiful fabric hangings and blanket which would have been brought in.




No comments:

Post a Comment