Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Holiday crafting revealed

My main two non-historically based projects in December were holiday gifts.

First, a scarf for one of my bosses.  Using yarn I bought at Rhinebeck and the pattern "Learn to Knit a Spiral Scarf" on Ravelry. It was a pretty quick knit, and I no longer have fear of short rows.

 I love how the curls can be tight....
 Or, really loose.


And, so easy to pack up, all opened out and wound into a disk 

The second holiday crafting was an ornament.  Very close friends adopted a baby a few years ago -- now she is a lovely young girl.  The year she came home, I purchased a Christmas chart based on Quaker embroidery motifs.  It has enough motifs for me to do one ornament each year until she is 21.   Here is this year's ornament.

 Each year's ornament includes the year and an acorn.  This year all on the same side.

The ground is linen and the thread is silk.
 This is the first year with a plain back.
I did a blanket stitch with just two strands of very fine silk around the edge. 

Now, it is back to my Bay of Fundy scarf for my modern work, though most focus will be on "period" embroideries for some time going forward now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment