Monday, January 11, 2016

Another process post.

When last we left the process of creating my German Brick Stitch class (here) I had selected materials and was about to settle on design.

Stage 3 Design confirmation

I knew that I want to jump from some of Master Richard Wymark's patterns.  They are clear and concise, and he had the advantage of being able to study the original pieces extensively.   After a little fiddling around, I stayed with my original plan to bounce from the item identified as part of a stole or mantle.  This is a nice easy pattern, all the stitches are the same four count. This will be the first part stitched in the final project and the one covered in the class. I have strayed from my original plan for the second design, moving to a different embroidered bag design.  It is similar to the one I was originally going to use.  It is a more complex design, requiring a little more attention to counting as the stitches vary in length from two to six count. 

For the class both designs will use the same colors: dark red, dark gold, yellow, blue (all silk) and white (linen).  

Stage 4 Stitch testing

Finally, it was time to test everything.  Normally for testing for a project, I just do a small bit of stitching including all colors on a "scrap" piece of fabric.  In this case, however, "stitch testing" was actually "kit testing" -- make sure the information will translate, confirm how much thread will be needed, consider shots to take for the handout.

I started by assembling my frame and marking the stitch area.  The piece will be stitched on a rectangle -- half in one design and half in the other.  When removed from the frame it will be folded in half and sewing up on the sides to make a bag.  I am not including photos of how I marked out the stitch area -- because it is not the way it will be done for class.  Not that I don't want to show I can mess up too, but because I don't want to confuse people.

Finally, I began to stitch.

Here is the main motif done in colors selected.  To make the project a little easier, I am dropping the animal motifs and simply doing an alternation of the motif as shown and the motif done with white linen thread and filled with the dark gold.  All motifs will have the blue "spots."

The reasoning behind the revision relates mostly to streamlining the design for learning -- and for reduction in the number of colors needed.

I completed the first half and quickly determined that the Trebizond silk I bought will not be the recommended thread for this as a learning project.  This photo shows one of the reasons.  Trebizond is picky.  It twists up, coverage is inconsistent from color to color and to have enough to finish the project it will be *expensive*. The kits will not be inexpensive, but the Trebizond was going to make it very much so.

Of course, I'll finish my first bag with the Trebizond, but the second one will be done with Splendor -- one of the recommended threads.  yes, there will be a second one, I still have to do photos for the handout.

 Progress shot. Once I had the first motif in place, I placed the rest of the lattice, first in the red, then the gold.  All those diamonds will be filled in once the center motifs are placed.

 Here all the motifs have been completed, ready to fill.
And finally, the full piece -- or the one half.

Ultimately, I did a larger area than we will do for the class.  This gave me a solid 'feel' for the design and plenty of opportunities to determine recommended stitch and working order.





I'm working on the second side now, the lattice is in place and the center motifs have been started.   Then, I just need to write up the handout (while doing a second, smaller piece).

No comments:

Post a Comment