Monday, May 2, 2016

Randomness - German Altar Frontal - maybe not the one you think

Many people who study medieval textiles are familiar with this late 14th Century piece at the Cloisters. A quick look back, I'm not sure I've talked about it, but that's for another day -- I certainly have photos enough of the piece which incorporates brick stitch in a different manner than the bags, pillows and box covering I've talked about lately.

Today, I decided to turn to LACMA (L.A. County Museum of Art) for a random piece.  I entered the search phrase "Embroidery medieval," and this was the one hit. (There are other pieces within "SCA  Period" but that's the one that came up for that particular word search.) It has a very different style to the background, yet it does have those lovely figures with the brick stitch fills, and very similar colors.

I will certainly be giving this piece some closer study soon.  I was going to do some of that study and say more, but I want to get this posted -- running late because my cat decided that this evening was the perfect time to learn whether she can be in the exact same place as a (full) glass of red wine.  Hint: no.  Good thing we had an extra keyboard around the house.
Germany, Lower Saxony, circa 1380 LACMA M.79.48

No comments:

Post a Comment