Monday, November 23, 2015

Process Post...

At one point I asked for ideas of posts, and one of the requests was for one (or maybe a series) on "process."

So, here's a process post.  I was recently asked to teach a class in March with the proviso that I need to have write up *and sample photos* ready by the beginning of January. Since I'll be needing to take photos at each step for illustration of the hand out, I thought it would be a good topic for a series of process posts.  I will probably time some of them to be after the info is sent to the coordinator, but here's the beginning.

The class will be on German Brick Stitch.  There is, of course the materials webbed by Master Richard Wymarc (http://www.wymarc.com/asoot/asoot.php) (Timothy J. Mitchell), originally an issue of The Compleat Anachronist in July 1996.

Stage 1: Design selection  I started from Master Wymarc's website, being an excellent source of designs and information regarding existing pieces.  I decided that I want to offer a small pouch for the project, and that it should have both an easy-to-execute design and one with slightly more complex counting.  For the simpler design, I decided on elements from the piece "Part of a Stole or Maniple."  This one qualifies as a simpler design because the stitches are all the same length, and are fairly repetative (and if I use only the flowers, they will be completely repetative).  For something with a bit more counting involved I chose one of the patterns titled "An Embroidered Bag." Ultimately, I will prepare a design based on these two charts which will use one on one side and the other for the other side of the final bag.

Stage 2: Color and Material selection.  Having decided on the inspiration designs, I proceeded to color choice.  First, I determined in what ways I'll change the colors.  I want the two sides of the bag to coordinate, and I want to keep the number of colors down as much as possible. I decided that the final color set will be blue, red, yellow, "old gold" and white.  I will use red where the simpler design calls for red and the more complex calls for purple.  The old gold will replace the green.  Blue, yellow and white will remain the same (although I may swap yellow and white on the simpler design to avoid too much yellow on gold... or not, that will be determined in the testing phase).  A trip to the needlework store was next in order.  I pulled one each of the blue, red, gold and yellow DMC referenced by Master Wymarc as reference colors, then looked at the threads available.  From prior projects, I knew I want to use silk approximately the size of Perle 5.  I looked at both Grandeur by Rainbow Threads and Trebizond.  I finally chose the Trebizond - look at that sheen!  I will admit that I played a little with the colors to achieve a palate that I found pleasing. I was luck y enough to find a piece of Congress Cloth (my preferred ground for Brick Stitch) in eggshell in the remainders bin that should be *just about* the right size (class pieces will be cut with more precision).  Finally, a set of stretcher bars (a pair of 6" and a pair of 11" and a box of tack were added to my purchase.

Next up will be finalizing the specific pattern and testing the colors together.

No comments:

Post a Comment