Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Breaking a rule....

I’ve broken one of my rules, but it’s all in the name of the holidays.

My yellow Bay of Fundy scarf is about half done.  How do I know?  I’ve just about finished one hank of the yarn and it is about 33 inches long.  I have three more hanks, but I don't think it will take more than one more.  Here’s an in progress shot.  Can’t wait to see what it looks like all done and blocked.  I’m considering blocking this half a) to see how it looks and b) to make the final blocking a little easier.  Thoughts?

 That's the whole thing (so far) to the left, pinned to the box for a Billy bookcase.  Love the cable pattern.  That little ball is all that is left of the first hank - just a few more rows, I'm sure.


However, the End of Year Holidays are approaching.  Whatever you call it, December is a time of celebration, family, friends and gifting. Well, ok, for us the gifting usually goes well into January … and sometimes beyond, but late November and December is the season of considering gifts, and making them.  So, here’s the rule breaking – my usual rule is “one knitting project at a time.”  Considering the number of other projects I have going at any given time, *some* area of my crafty world needs to be reigned in.  However, I really want to do a knitted gift for my new boss, so that has gone on the needles.  It will be fast, and I’ll move back to the yellow scarf/wrap soon.

Not only that, but I’m learning something while I do it.  The project I’m doing is all about short rows.  Why was I afraid of them?  Apparently I have come far in my knitting since I did socks.  When I did the short row heels on the socks, I slavishly followed the directions, but didn’t really “get” what I was doing, I just followed the pattern.  This time, however, as I do segment after segment on this lovely ruffle scarf, I’m “getting” it.  I see where they’re going and what they’re doing. 

I call that worth a small rule break, how about you?

Sorry, no value added photos until after the gift has been given…. Not sure if she reads this blog, but I like surprises to be surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment