Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Tool talk -- light pad.

There are many ways to transfer an embroidery pattern to the ground fabric (when that is being done, as opposed to following a chart).  Not one way works for all patterns and fabrics, but one of my favorites is the use of a light box.  I've had a large one that I haul around for some time.  It's big and clumsy, but gets the job done. 

But, with the advent of LED lights, came the light pad.  I found one on Amazon for less than $50, and hemmed and hawed about buying it (after all, I had a perfectly usable light box).  My husband gave it to me for Christmas.  It is this one .  It is so delightfully light weight, and the diffused light is just perfect for transferring designs.  

The pad comes with a lovely carry tote, which is roomy enough to include a roll of painter's tape (less chance of residue on the surface), paper and a few supplies.  It comes with a few sheets of a parchment-like tracing paper.  I haven't used that yet, but I look forward to playing with it. 



Inside the carry tote, I keep my pad in the foam bag that it came with and keep the foam corner protectors on it... just for a little added security. This is so much easier to take with me when going to an arts day, or off to teach someone. 




The light pad has a lovely clear surface, and even a grid on two sides.  In this shot, you can see reflection of my hands holding the phone/camera and a painting on the wall behind me. 

The power button also adjusts the brightness.  My old one has a rocker switch which is, in some ways, more convenient, but there is no delay when turning this one on, so the difference is negligible. More expensive pads might have a separate switch for selecting brightness.

It's very very slim -- barely thicker than the slot for the power cord.  It runs on USB. There was not an adapter, but those are easy enough to get just about anywhere.  It does not have a battery (it can't be "charged up") -- again, look to the more expensive models for that. The cord is flat, and quite long.

I'll be sure to take some "process" shots using this light pad to show it in use. 

My old light box has a larger working surface, and will not be discarded, but it will be kept tucked away in the closet in my studio -- it will be good to have two for classes and A&S gatherings -- but it will be my lovely light weight light pad that will be pulled out most of the times that it is time to do design transfer. 

Oh, and yes, it's a very modern process -- but it is also an echo of an old one.  There are wood cuts showing design transfer being done at a window, and even over a light candle.  This modern marvel is much safer than the candle, and an easier angle than the window.


No comments:

Post a Comment