Monday, December 14, 2015

Silk tunic

I finished the silk tunic for my husband -- at least to a wearable stage.  I do want to go back and add some more embroidery and some more of the seams need hand finishing.

Overall, however, I think I'm happy with it.  Things I plan to work on: the neckline is still a little large, and next time I'll have him put on the belt before marking up the hem.


The black silk we purchased in Philadelphia a couple of years ago, and I finally had the nerve to cut it.  First, I did the shirt, to make sure the current measurements and my pattern work well.  The shirt is of white linen from my stash -- I think it was some of the Fabrics-Store.com linen.
The sleeves on the shirt were initially a little large, so I did adjust them. Then, I used the same pattern (which I talked about here) for the silk.  I measured and marked very carefully, and then took a deep breath and cut with confidence.
The seams are machine sewn, but either are or will be (some done, some not yet for time constraint) hand finished.  I used my very old fashioned pin hem marker to mark the hems on both the shirt and the tunic.  Next time, he puts the belt on when I mark the hems.... or we start learning to "blouse" more.
 There is a little bit of embroidery already done.. both along the neckline of the shirt and the tunic.
Around the shirt neckline a blanket stitch in a very fine blue silk, and around the tunic neckline herringbone stitch again with silk. The tunic seams that have been finished and the hems were also stitched with silk; the shirt with linen.

Now, back to embroidery for teaching in March and pieces for my big presentation in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment