Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Teaching is everywhere.

On Sunday I participated in a demo at the Philadelphia German Society as part of their German Heritage festival.  Various members of the SCA presented different aspects of Medieval and Renaissance German arts.  I had a slide show of period German embroideries, some recreations done by myself and my good friend Cathy Bent, and some books with more examples bookmarked.  I also had some kits available if anyone wanted to try their hands at the brick stitch. (I had no takers for that part, which just means that I have a teaching box for brick stitch all set up!)

The embroidery "station"
Although there were less people than I though we would be getting, everyone I spoke with was interested and engaged.  They asked very good questions -- and I was generally able to answer them.

We were not the only ones providing information... a group of Hessians joined us, showed us some drills and circulated and talked with attendees.  I had a lovely discussion of garb making with one of the gentlemen -- and reinforced how glad I am we do 12th Century!


No comments:

Post a Comment