Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A couple of "done" knitting pieces

Quite a while ago (about 2 years ago), My husband and I were walking through one of the big box stores and saw that they had some Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool on a very good sale -- the big 4 oz skeins for $5.00.  The dark brown and the natural drew him over to the display, and I agreed to buy some and make him something.

After several enjoyable sessions browsing patterns on Ravelry, we agreed on this vest.  I finished up the project I was working on at the time (I try to have only one knitting project going at a time), and cast on in May 2014.

Now, knitting keeps getting put down.  It is my "between" project, my "clear my mind when embroidery has filled it up too much" work.  So, it took quite a while to finish.  I bought buttons for it at Rhinebeck 2014 and continued to work on it sporadically.

I finally finished the knitting while we were on vacation in May, and quickly made up a pair of these fingerless gloves to go with the vest.  Then both projects sat in my project bag most of the summer (while I worked on something else, but that's another post).  The week before Rhinebeck, I finally pulled out the vest, did all the weaving in, blocked it and added the buttons.  He proudly wore both the vest and the fingerless gloves to Rhinebeck this year.







 This was my first truly sized piece.  I've done socks, but didn't really follow different directions for size on those.  I'm pretty happy with the final result.  Don't know that I'll be doing a lot of constructed garments -- I like doing shawls and scarves and fingerless gloves -- but I'm glad to know I was able to suss out the instructions for shaping and making it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment