Monday, October 26, 2015

C&L - Couched Cord on Applique

One of the simplest uses of Laid and Couched work is to place a cord or decorative braid around the edges of appliqued work.  Sometimes the cord contrasts with the motifs, as in this late 15th to early 16th century fragment from Egypt and this earlier one, and sometimes the cord blends in with the ground fabric, making the applied motif stand out, as in this Spanish banner from the very end of SCA period.  Sometimes the couched cord is metal thread and in a few examples it is leather strips with gilt, such as in The Tristan hanging (Hanging) | V&A Search the Collections

This Cushion cover includes both metal couched metal thread and couched non-metal cord, as well as some couched cord used within the applied motifs, as can be seen in this close up.

One of the pieces I will be making for my Expert panel in Couching & Laid* work will be such a piece.  It doesn't need to be a large piece, it's one of the "backup" pieces which will, together, show my ability in all aspects of C&L.

I plan to do a cushion cover, though not a long one.  I will make a cushion to fit one of the chairs my husband and I typically take to SCA events which will make it more comfortable (yes, I will be sitting on it, presumably my stitches will be good enough that it will handle it).  I am considering either straight up my arms, or a design of an oak tree with one or more squirrels under it, possibly holding needles as in my arms. I'm kind of leaning towards a nice stylized oak tree with a squirrel.

Since this project is for me and not a surprise, it is one I can discuss the process of on this blog, so there will be updates as I work.

And that's it for this week's Monday post.  Have a great week everyone. Tomorrow I get to show off some of my modern knitting that has been recently completed.


*Couching & Laid work is the category title in Athena's Thimble.

No comments:

Post a Comment