Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Spring...

Flowers and trees blooming, warm, lengthening days... it must be Spring, when a fiber artist's thoughts turns to....

COLOR

(with apologies to Tennyson). While I try to wear brighter colors even in the depths of winter, I do find that when shopping for materials, I tend to the brighter items as the Spring draws closer.

All the colors.... 
Like this yarn I just bought.  Looking forward to using it for a bright colorful light weight cowl, just right for cool Spring evenings, and Summer air conditioned places.

It has been a long time since I actually studied anything about color theory (maybe Jr. High?).  I mainly either follow the colors of a piece I am inspired by (for historic work), or just hold things together to see what I like.  A number of years ago I realized that my wardrobe was almost entirely black, dark blue and brown, and I started to change that.  I bought clothing and fabrics in brighter, jewel tones.  I went through a "yellow period" (seriously, I had enough yellow tops to wear one every day to work). I started using combinations I had been taught (somewhere along the way) to avoid.  Red and deep purple, for instance.  I found that a skirt with flowers with specks of color paired well with a shirt pulling one of those speck colors.

I'd like to be a little more knowledgeable about it, though, and have started looking at some resources for understanding a bit more about color and how it works.  The title of this website caught my eye: A beginners guide to beginning colour theory by someone who was never taught art. After all, Jr. High art classes were a long time ago. :)

So, stay tuned as I learn more and play with color, both modern and historic.

Meanwhile I think I'll go play with some bright threads.

Speaking of color, coming soon, maybe next week. more info on those 18th Century canvas work pocket books -- and wait until you see the riot of colors there!

No comments:

Post a Comment