Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Ravelry

I've mentioned Ravelry a couple of times in my posts, but I don't think I've ever talked about it.  It's a lovely resource, primarily aimed at knitters and crocheters, though spinners, weavers, and embroiderers are also common on its pages.  It's part resource, part social media.

You do have to have a log in (it's free), but after that you can use it as much or as little as you wish.

Go to the patterns tab to "shop" for patterns.  You can browse casually, or use the "Pattern browser & advanced search"  You can narrow down your search by a number of categories and sub categories.  Keep selecting items to narrow by, then sort the results (I like to sort by newest first).  My most recent search was for free knitting patterns for fingerless gloves, in English, using 150 to 300 yards of fingering yarn.

Using this search, I found several candidates for some of the rest of the yellow alpaca that is going into my current project.  You can even ask it to search your library -- another feature of the site.

On the library, you can list all the books, magazines and individual patterns that you have.  Later, when you put in a search, you just might find that you already have a pattern that catches your eye.

Another feature is the stash.  When you buy yarn, you can list it in your stash -- and then later you can search for patterns that might be good for items in your stash (unless you buy yarn knowing already exactly what you're going to do with it....)

A big feature is "Projects" where you can record details of your ongoing projects -- for instance, here is the page for my current knitting project.  I've recorded the pattern, the yarn I'm using, my progress and notes.  When it's done, I'll maybe remember to go in and put in a picture.

There are also a large number of groups on the website -- the "social" part.  I'll admit, I don't spend much time in there, other than occasionally to go in and see if anyone has posted the answer to a question I've had come up while I work.  Just about any aspect of life experienced by people who work with fiber has a group.

This is just a little bit about this website.  (BTW, my only association with Ravelry is that I'm on it).  If you haven't, go check it out.  And if you're there .. well, I'm KandyElizabet.  Drop by and say "hi."







No comments:

Post a Comment