Monday, March 28, 2016

New Feature: Random Item

So, while I quietly work in the background, as it were, on several projects that really don't have much share-able, I decided on a new "feature" here on the Study.  The Random Item post.  The idea for these posts is that I will find a piece in one of the many on line collections and talk a little about it.  It may be something I've seen in person, it may not.

For this first installment, I chose this Band from the V&A: It is a red silk band embroidered with silk and gold thread, animals in roundels alternating with lozenges intertwined with floral motifs. Dated by the museum as 1150-1200 and currently believed to be English.  It is V&A Accession No. 8237-1863.

Ok, so more-or-less random.  Basically, I put "Embroidery 1200" in the search box and this was one of the hits.  Since it actually dates to the time and country of my SCA persona, I determined it is a good candidate for Random Item.

This band is one of those delightful mystery items which are sometimes all we have.  The item information describes that it is cut on all four sides, making the original form and use uncertain. It is made up of several roundels with animals and lozenges with flowers. The animals are described as a dog or cat, a lion or leopard, two bears back to back....
(C) Victoria and Albert Museum, London
(C) Victoria and Albert Museum, London
And this delightful bird, possibly a peacock.
The stitching is described as underside couching of gold work, with split and stem stitch design details in colorful silk threads.

The vendor said that the band came from Halberstadt Cathedral, however later study, and based on the technique and design, they now believe it to be English.

The use of this lovely band is not now known, though the V&A notes that "pieces like this were typically used as decoration for vestments."

I am particularly struck by the animals and flowers on this piece. This band may well have been on vestments, but it looks like it would be equally happy as the border of a hanging, or even the hem of a special garment. (Unfortunately, the information does not have the size, I'll have to see if I can find out more).

The colors are reported to be somewhat faded, and much of the stitching is worn, but this fantastic photo of the back gives some idea of the wonder of this piece.
(C) Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Having browsed on the V&A Search the Collections, I'm loving this piece and am inspired by the fact that it is, quite possibly, from my persona's time and country.  There may well be a bird in circle, or flower and lozenge showing up in some of my work down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment