Thursday, September 3, 2015

Thursday again

Today is, once again, Thursday, and yesterday was A&S Night.  There has been some good progress since last week, and my student joined us again.

Last night's lesson was stem stitch and split stitch. I think next week I'm going to have to give her a better piece of fabric for her sampler, as the one she is working on is fighting her tension.  Maybe a better hoop, too.  Until now all my teaching has been "here are materials to get you started on the concept" but this time it's more long term, I think she deserves more long term materials.

I worked a little bit on my hemstitch piece, and the design for the work that will take up most of September was nailed down.

Current project list/status:
  • Medallion for a coronation mantle -- THIS IS DONE and will be the subject of an October post (after reveal).  I am overall happy with this piece.  I was tracking time -- just under 40 hours.
  • Motifs for a Laurel cloak -- DONE.  All three motifs done and sent on.  This will quite possibly be the subject of Monday's post.
  • Motifs for coronation cloaks (different coronation) -- Sizes have been determined, fabric chosen and (I believe) ordered and by the end of this weekend I expect to have the pattern pieces ready.  This will be applique, as the best way to get four rather large motifs done in time -- and since they can be assembled without the final cloaks in hand, then applied at the end.
  • Planning for teaching.  Also in October (boy, October's a big month for my work), I'll be teaching German Brick Stitch at a demo.  I need to assemble kits and maybe frame up a piece to be working on.
  • Marshall Hanging -- the very large Bayeux inspired piece that I've been working on (on and off) for just about forever.  Deadline, June 2016. I expect there will be an update post shortly. No additional work this week.
  • Hem stitched square -- about half way through the third side.  Currently my travel piece. A few more stitches were done last night, but planning communications, teaching and headache intervened -- some work is just too fine to do with a headache :)  With no deadline, and just for me just for fun, I'm ok with slow progress on this one.
  • Additional couching & laid work pieces. The June 2016 deadline is for a very special presentation to the East Kingdom embroidery guild, Keepers of Athena's Thimble.  In addition to the master work of the Marshall Hanging, I need supporting pieces in other forms of laid and couched work.  There will be posts as these are done. Some research and Pinteresting have been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment