Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The best plans, and some scissor talk....

Today was meant to be a "studio day" and it probably would have been such all day if I hadn't given in to my craving for Indian food.  (At my old job I was able to get fantastic Indian food regularly, but at the new place, the closest Indian place is just far enough away to not be convenient for lunch.)  I did spend a good morning straitening up (I intend to keep it a workable room, and it had accumulated a goodly amount of stuff that had been living in the front living room), and finishing the side seams and elastic casing on a skirt I started way too long ago.  Perhaps I'll do the hem on that skirt next.   Then it was time for lunch, and somehow when we got back I didn't wander back upstairs. Still it was a lovely few hours and it did start up the "I want to make things" in my soul again.   Oh, and lunch was lovely.

While I was in my studio it occurred to me that I have scissors hanging on three of the four walls.

There are the fabric shears (as always, where I use web based retailers' links/photos it is for convenience, not as a specific endorsement):

I have at least two of the gray handled Fiskars, plus one pair with the razor edge:
Photo from Amazon.  Also available on JoAnn's website and in stores.
 Interestingly, I could not find the gray handles on Fiskars' website
I also have a pair of Fiskars Pinking shears and a number of pairs of small embroidery scissors around, as well as several pair of scissors that are "paper safe." Essentially in our house any 8" scissors that are the plastic handles but not Fiskars are paper safe. Yes, my husband is well versed in "honey are these ok for not-fabric?") Wherever I turn in my studio, I can easily lay my hands on a pair of scissors when I need them. 

There are a number of pair of embroidery scissors around the house as well. 

Pretty blue handled scissors

I have scissors for pretty -- because working with pretty tools makes me happy -- and scissors for getting under threads (these are great for Hardanger and other cut/withdrawn thread embroidery).

That slanted blade gets under threads nicely.

I also have a pair of scissors specially designed for metal thread -- one blade is serrated, so it holds the thread in place.
Metal thread scissors
Photo from
www.Firesidestitchery.com
There are also, of course, the usual complement of plain small embroidery scissors and 'stork' scissors -- and even a pair where instead of a stork the animal is a squirrel.  

So, of course yesterday, I had to go out and buy a pair of scissors.  But, this time it was for paper.  While there are plenty of "paper safe" scissors in our house, I need a pair for very fine, precision cutting of pattern pieces for an applique project.  I purchased a pair of tonic Decoupage scissors.  I'll report on how they do. 
Photo from Amazon, purchased at AC Moore

Yes, there are a lot of pairs of scissors around this house.  At least I've gotten out of the habit of tossing them in my purse... that habit almost got me in a lot of trouble (and did not please the gentlemen at the security checkpoint at Chester County Court Administration one bit....)

Do you have a favorite pair?  When shopping for a knife in a good kitchen store, the staff will tell you that the best knife is the one you will use.  Do you have a pair of scissors you use most -- whether they're the pretty ones or just the ones that fit "just so" in your hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment