Monday, April 18, 2016

Update on a Random post

On March 28 (in this post) I talked about an Unknown Band at the V&A dated to 1150 to 1200.  At that time I emailed the V&A hoping to get more information about a related piece held by the Abegg-Stiftung in Switzerland, and a little more detail about the V&A's piece. 

Today I heard back from the V&A with information as to which of the catalogs of the Abegg-Stiftung the related piece is listed in (with page reference even) -- now I know which one to look for at the local University Libraries.  Time for a "library romp" -- and me time off next week, how about that :)

I also learned more information about the size of the piece held by the V&A.  Either they updated their on line listing or I was simply blind before.  Anyway, the piece as it currently exists is 45.5 cm by 8.5 cm (approximately 18 x 3.5 inches) -- certainly a size that suggests it could have been used as trim in one way or another.   

And, really exciting is that the piece is currently in conservation, being prepared to be part of the exhibit on Opus Anglicanum (October 1, 2016 to February 15, 2017).  Yet another reason to figure out how to find the money for a trip to London!

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find  the book, Wetter, Evelin: Mittelalterliche Textilen III - Stickerei bis um 1500 und figurlich gewebte Borten, Abegg-Stiftung, 2012. 

So, when you find a piece on a museum website that interests you, don't be shy, write to them.  Many will answer -- and you never know what rabbit hole .... er ... line of research you may fall into. 


No comments:

Post a Comment