Monday, April 4, 2016

More randomness

During a recent romp through the on-line collection at The Philadelphia Museum of Art I came across this interesting little piece -- accession number 1894-30-94.

(c) Philadelphia Museum of Art
Listed as a "lace edging" it is colorful embroidery on net, with the not-very-precise dating of 1200-1400.  The description lists it as silk net with silk embroidery which has been stiffened with wax.  It is a long piece at 58 inches, and quite narrow at 2 inches high.

Closer of one section
Looking carefully at the photograph on the website, I do not believe it is Lacis (as currently identified).  The stitches do not look woven, but more like other embroidery stitches such as stem or split, simply done on a net-like fabric rather than a more closely woven one.  To really be sure will call for a visit to the museum to try to see the piece.

This item strikes me very much as one for secular use.  The stiffening with wax leads me more toward it being for household use rather than clothing.  Could it have been trim on a wall hanging, or the edge of a box style cushion?  I also think it quite possible that this is a piece that did not come from a larger workshop.  Though beautiful, it does not have quite that "something" that a professionally done piece might have.

The colors shine though, and it certainly sings to me on this early spring day that feels more like winter.

I know I have seen other pieces of colorful embroidery on net -- I'll have to find the time to do some research on them.  Meanwhile, I will enjoy these flowers and pea pods, knowing that the real ones cannot be far behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment