Monday, November 9, 2015

Another look back - It's not just embroidery...

Since I am right now in the boring "research" phase on two projects (for one the design has gone to the person who requested the project, for the other I have another week or so to finalize my design), I don't have much to talk about... so it's time for another look back.

Starting in December 2008, I knit a silk bag based on several existing ones from the 14th Century. (A project diary and link to the documentation are here.)


The inspiration for the project were several bags housed in Sion and Chur.  They are described in two books: Richard Rutt's A History of Hand Knitting, and Brigitta Schmedding's Mittelalterliche Textilien in Kirchen und Klöstern der Schweiz : Katalog, (no, I don't read German, I managed a general idea of what was said in that book about the bags by use of Google Translate, and numerous posts by other knitters).  I developed a design to incorporate acorns (an element of my household's badge).  The thread is Rainbow's Elegance (perle 8 silk) and it was knit with 5-0 needles. 

This was a fun project, though I'm not sure I'll do something quite this fine gauge again.  On the other hand, there's a knitted tube of unknown purpose pictured in Tissus D'Egypte that has called to me on more than one occasion.  I have a chart, and even yarns ... just need some time to work on my color work.... 

Meanwhile, some more photos of the relic bag:






No comments:

Post a Comment