Monday, August 24, 2015

Lacis -- Embroidery on Net

Recently I was doing some research browsing on the Metropolitan Museum of Art website for background for some projects.  As often happens, I came across a lot of pieces I wasn't looking for (I was lucky enough to come across pieces I *was* looking for as well).  Having recently had a conversation with someone about the Athena's Thimble category "Lacis," pieces that fall in that category caught my eye.

One of the issues I sometimes have with doing historically based embroidery is that in many of the forms there is little to nothing by way of extant pieces that are not religious.  Embroidery on net is not one of those forms.  A lot of the work is secular in nature. (Photos for this post are found in the links, which will open in new windows, they are from the Met and the V&A.)

This fellow particularly took my fancy.

Many of the pieces are like this guy, random fragments of embroidered net, leaving us wondering what they are or were used for.

There are a few complete pieces.  This chalice veil, for instance is not only complete, it is in color (scroll down and select the other photos).

This Altar frontal from the V&A  is also complete -- and while it is classed an altar frontal, it has mostly secular motifs. I'm thinking my lovely new dining room table needs a Lacis bordered table cloth.  Perhaps alternating squares of squirrels and acorns.... After some of the current projects have been addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment