Monday, February 22, 2016

Teaching .. and an update

First, about the teaching

For the past two weekends I have had the opportunity to teach about German Brick Stitch.  This was the "shorter, one hour, small motif" version of the class I am working on for March (at this event).

The models for the one hour one motif class.
First, was in Delaware.  I had a total of 10 students (it's a good thing I always bring a few extras of materials!).  Walking in skill level ranged from complete novice to very experienced in other counted forms.  I believe the students enjoyed the class and walked away interested in the form.  I did give myself a few "notes" -- things to work on or change, and I made a couple of changes to the handout as a result.

Then, just this past weekend I taught again in Massachusetts. This time I had 12 students (I think, that number is based on the the fact that I walked in with 13 hand outs and out with 1).  Again, I think the students enjoyed it. In fact, I know one did, as she has posted that she now wants to German Brick Stitch all the things. Here is a picture of her completed piece:
Completed class project by Susan Young
I have again walked away with some thoughts and changes to make.  I plan to make those changes to the handout for the one hour class and then adjust it so that it can be put on the web as a self directed project. 

For those who want more information on German Brick Stitch, I recommend the website of Master Richard Wymarc. I provided copies of one of his pages with the class, and the chart for this motif comes from his materials.  Such a lucky man to have been able to spend so much time studying the pieces at the V&A.  I hope that my students visit his site and continue to grow in the form.

Now, for the update. Do you remember this post about the Pel/Laurel medallion I did for a coronation cloak?  That would be this one:

Well, the event in Delaware was a royal progress, and I was amazed to hear my own name called out to approach Her Majesty of the East.  Her Majesty of Meridies had arranged for my Queen to be her hands to present me with the Meridian Majesty, name me an Embroiderer to her Court and present me with her token.  I was very lucky no one approached me with a feather, because I would have been on the ground.  I remain touched and honored.  During the week that followed a video was posted of my Laurel and my apprentice sister receiving the same award and honors for that cloak, at, we believe, about the same time. 

Now, on to finish writing the longer Brick Stitch class, and more work on Couching and Laid work pieces!  If you took either class, I'd love to receive photos of your completed project -- I'll be setting up a "classes" page and will include them there.  


No comments:

Post a Comment