Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Some modern resources for supplies.

I want to preface this blog post by saying I have no financial affiliation with any of the companies I'm about to list.  They are some of my "go to" places for fiber related supplies.  This is not an exhaustive list, it's the first handful that I can think of.

First, I always suggest your local needlework, yarn, sewing/quilting store if you have one.  Even if they don't carry what you're particularly looking for, if you develop a relationship they may be able to order in stuff.  There is also no substitute for the joy of what I call browsing the colors.  Even if I walk away with nothing, I get a creative burst just from being in a place surrounded by the materials of my art(s). (Though I usually find *something* to buy.)  By "your local store" I do not mean the big box craft stores, though they have their places.

Fireside Stitchery -- This is my "local needlework shop."  They primarily cater to modern needlepoint, but happily sell (and talk) threads and materials with anyone.  They also do mail order and will order in materials requested.  Fireside carries most of the silk threads that I commonly use, as well as both DMC and Anchor stranded floss, Kreinik metalics, linen threads, and a wide variety of specialty threads.  I rarely leave without one of their little plastic bags with something in it.

Nordic Needle -- This is an excellent website for many basic supplies.  They also sell many of the embroidery fabrics available -- and many of them by the inch.  For them, by the inch means a full bolt width and the number of inches ordered.  They also have most of the more common cuts available for most fabrics.  Nordic Needle has a wide focus, and is particularly famous for their Hardanger supplies and designs.  They do have a store, in Fargo, ND -- so there are people for whom they are the local needlework store.

Threadneedle Street -- This is another website selling a large variety of threads, fabrics and other supplies. They also sell the new manufacture of DMC Medici.  So far, this is the only thing I've bought from them, though the experience was very good and I expect they will see more of my business. Threadneedle is a local needlework store for anyone in or near Issaquah WA.

Lacis -- Another store that is far away but also as close as my computer.  This California company has a focus on historic needlework and is one of my sources for both linen threads of different weights and metallic threads.  I have gotten some great tools and other supplies from them as well.

Knit Picks is one of the websites I go to for yarn, and one of the catalogs that is referred to as "oh, here's danger" when it hits our mailbox.  Low prices on decent yarn, making experimenting in knitting a reasonable thing to do.

Webs is another website for yarn -- and a local store for Northampton, MA.  I've been a couple of times thanks to the fact that I seem to keep going to events in Massachusetts. I have not actually experienced their web/mail order interface but the people there are fantastic, and I always leave with several new projects on my list.

Well, there are lots more, and this is the beginning of a new page I'll be setting up -- "Resources."

Oh, and those big box craft stores?  In my area that means ACMoore, Michaels and JoAnn's.  Well, they get plenty of my business as well :)

2 comments:

  1. Threadneedle Street has good proceeds for hanks of Appleton wool and goldwork supplies. Their customer service is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know. I've been happy with the little bit of contact I've had with them, and am always glad to see other have good experiences.

      Delete