Sunday, March 2, 2014

Travel work

The Bayeux inspired piece is wonderful and a piece that I'm enjoying greatly -- but it is not very portable.  Sometimes my "toss it in the tote bag" project is something modern (like the baby blanket I recently finished), but I tend to also have something historically inspired as well.

My current travel piece is a double running square.  I haven't yet decided whether to call it a handkerchief, or simply a basket cover, which is what it will probably ultimately be used for.

This project started as an exercise in not dithering over the design stage.  Facing a day running errands, with big gaps between, I grabbed my copy of the reprint of Peter Quentel's Modelbuch brought out by Lynne Skinner a number of years ago, some graph paper, linen, black thread and needles.  (Sadly, I'm not sure this is still available.  It is a facsimile of Hiersemann's 1882 reprint of Quentel's 1527/1529 modelbuch).  By the end of the day's stops I had chosen a band from Plate number 56, charted it out and began stitching.

The project became my travel piece and has been worked on in an on and off manner for just over a year -- being put down often in favor of other projects not for lack of interest, but because I keep taking on projects with deadlines. 

Some shots of the current status.  I've done all the way around on the first pass (and it came out counted correctly), and am about half way back.  Yes, I have left all my ends for after the piece is done.  With double running, particularly, I prefer to do the weaving in after the work has all been done, I find it makes it easier to avoid weaving in too much in one location.



No comments:

Post a Comment